Who mathematics epp?

Some weeks back I read a post by Nkechi Bianze about chemistry and physic, while I read the post, I
agreed with her. The fact that you failed mathematics or English, or failed physic and chemistry is no
ground for you to say who the “subject epp.”

In my opinion, I think parents should allow their children love all subject at least excel above average
in all. I don’t like mathematics in fact I am so poor in maths that I can’t put little percentages together. 
I tried to learn maths because I wanted to but somehow, the figures were not adding up and I just
didn’t understand how my mates were arriving at the answers.

I admired my class mates so much that I personally got a maths teacher to teach me in secondary
school. As hard as I tried I just couldn’t put the figures together. Ugochi Mmeje show your face. She
was my seatmate and she tried to help me countless times but mathematics was not my thing.

If I could trace back I would say my foundation in mathematics was weak, since the enabling ground
was absent it was difficult catching up later. So, I diverted my knowledge to the things I’m good at so
that I won’t be olodo in class.

Little did I know that my inability to solve equations would hunt me later.  A friend helped submit my
CV in PZ, although, they requested for 2.1 but I graduated with 2.2. after much ado, I was called to
write their attitude test. I worked GMAT from beginning to end, since I am poor in maths, I crammed
all figures, questions and answers so much that even if they mixed up the year I would know what the
answer is and tick.

It was a short notice of 48 hours but I had time to study from day to mid night because I was
determined to get the job.  The day came for the attitude test, I had no sleep at all as I was awake
studying (cramming maths and studying English). I left the house early to beat traffic.

When I got to the venue, I made some friends and all of them were busy saying I graduated from Uni
Lag 2.1, I graduated from UI 2.1, I graduated from Uni Ben  2.1, I just kept mute on my Uni and
grade. 41 graduates were present and I was already shaking, I knew I was at a disadvantage and I
didn’t want anyone to know I graduated with a 2.2, again Mathematics is not my friend.

So we started the exams, the maths part was from GMAT of that year. All I was doing was to read the
questions through to be sure and just search for the figure and tick, then I proceeded to the English,
since the comprehension was same, there was no point reading through I just picked the answers. I
have never seen an exam as interesting as I was the first to submit.

We were told to wait for the scores so we can move to round two. Only 13 of us passed to round two. 
We were told to write an essay on good governance, that too came handy and we moved to the third
stage.

This was where maths showed me. This round was computer based, they called it SHL. I have never
heard of it before, if I had I would have studied that one too. We were to answer 27 questions in 21
minutes and the time was just busy ticking. The maths part was pie charts, percentages and changing
dollor to naira and the rest. I just couldn’t put the figures together.

I was shaking, all of a sudden the AC was too much for me, I was sweating at the same time, I started
crying. I was ticking all the wrong answers. The deal is, I must have at least 50 in maths and 50 in
English, even if I scored 100 in English and 49 in maths, I won’t be accepted. I cried that day; I knew
only a miracle would make me pass that examination.

Well, I don’t know what my score was but I knew I had horribly failed the maths because I got a mail
from PZ telling me I failed the third exam. I mourned the loss of that opportunity, My Dad (God rest
his soul), Mom and siblings knew I was going through a tough time.
Who is to be blamed? Me and only me. Only if I had taken mathematics serious, only if…..

Maiyaki Asema Ohida started giving me tutorials on maths and Asiodu Ndidi downloaded all
questions on SHL and ready for another opportunity with PZ but that particular opportunity didn’t
present itself again until I returned to school.

I think as adults and parents, it is best we encourage our kids to like all subjects in their chosen field
so that they don’t miss opportunities when it present itself….what opportunity have you missed and
you regret so much? I want to hear you story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding Territories

Abandoned yet rewarded

The state of my state