Ebola Katakata.



The fear of ebola is the beginning of wisdom. Hygiene suddenly became a part of every Nigerian; orderliness was sort after as people did not want body contact of any kind. Salt became expensive, hand sanitizer became scarce, bitter kola was most expensive.

From a distance I could hear my phone ring but I was too tired to pick. It was 3:00am, who would call me at this time of the night? The last time I checked my friends and family are doing fine. I struggled to pull my phone from my reading table.

It was my “Best Man,” that was what I saved my Dad’s name as. This is so unusual, 20 missed calls from my Mom, Dad and siblings. I was alarmed. Then I checked my messages and I saw over 15 messages on Ebola. 

There was this particular text that Patience Audu sent to me about Ebola been in the air and as soon as you breath in you contact the virus. While I was trying to digest the content of the text, my Dad’s call came in.
Hello Daddy…..”Ozohu, where are you?”

Me: Daddy I’m in the hostel.
Daddy: That is good. Go and have your bath now with warm water and salt.
Me: but daddy…
Daddy: I know you will ask questions, go and have your bath first
Me: Daddy
Daddy: I said go and have your bath. Do you have to argue, do what I have asked of you first.
Me: Ok sir

What is happening? 3:30am salt and water….ebola flying in the air. Won’t I go to class today…..yes, I have an appointment with Badeesh later (Badiyah Muhammed). Let me call Badeesh to know how far nau. So I called Badeesh.

Badeesh: Zowieee!
Me: how you nau
Badeesh: fine o,
Me: you are awake?
Badeesh: yes o, I just had my bath
Me: even you….
Badeesh: I sent you a message now, I called but you didn’t pick. I won’t be coming to the institute today. Ebola is in the air and I don’t want stories that touch.
Me: ok, see you tomorrow then.

Alone in my room, roommate travelled and I was just thinking of how I would have my bath. Just then I remembered my dad will call soon. As I was about to put water on fire, my phone rang.
My aunty in Ibadan, Lagos….everyone calling to know if I have had my salt bath.

So I was looking for my kettle but couldn’t find it. I remembered I left it in my friend’s room. It was the period MFM usually had their annual prayers and fast for 70days. Anu participates in the entire program and I know her vigil starts around this time but I had to bath with salt.

Anu’s room was 2 rooms away from mine, so I went to her room; breath held and was knocking hard on her door. My dear friend asked “who is that?” I couldn’t answer because I didn’t want to breathe out in order not inhale ebola. My friend somehow opened the door, I picked my kettle and left her room.

Later that day we were all laughing at the drama that happened in the day. Everyone had a story to tell of the ebola salt bath.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding Territories

The state of my state

Abandoned yet rewarded